Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Skadoosh!

Somehow blogging isn't as fun when you've lost your digital camera and your computer is broken, but I'll try to keep updating every once in a while.

I'm definitely moving out of the hobo-living-out-of-a-backpack phase of my trip. This week marks the start of school and work for me. I'll be studying Chinese Monday through Friday at Beijing Language and Culture University from 8am to Noon.

I also got a job teaching conversational English from 1.30pm to 3.30pm Monday through Friday. I've only worked for 3 days, but I think I'm gonna like this job. Basically, I hang out with 4 Korean kids, asking them questions and telling them stories (in English, of course) for 2 hours a day. The language school is on the 9th floor of a building that is a short walk from my university dormitory. There is a sizable Korean community in my neighborhood, and this language school is run by Koreans, hence the reason all my students are Korean. The kids are all between 12 and 15-- not the easiest age to work with-- but none of them are punks and their attention span is about as long as mine.

After teaching, I am free to hang out in cafes and internet bars, do my Chinese homework, and feed my Wikipedia, YouTube, and blog reading addictions. I've also been playing some basketball on campus. I feel so tall in this country.

On Sundays, I attend Haidian Church which has the best English-preaching I've ever heard in this country. I've heard some pretty wacky sermons at other state-controlled churches, but the pastor here is the real deal. He is an excellent preacher, speaks perfect English, and is not afraid to use the words "sinner" and "Jesus" at least 2 dozen times in every sermon. It seems churches are getting more and more freedom these days, at least in Beijing, praise God. I'm looking for ways to get more involved at this church.

So, I guess this is my life right now, and I must say I'm really liking it. I'm surprised that the romance of living abroad hasn't started to wear off yet, but I'm expecting it will start after a few weeks of school and work. Anyway, the Olympics will come soon, which is going to be crazy. I'll definitely have some related-posts. I'm interested to see how the Olympic coverage on TV will portray this fascinating city. More later. Peace.