Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Basketball Camp

Studying at Beijing Language & Culture University (BLCU) kinda feels like a summer camp. Each day has its structered list of activities including learning, recreation time, and eating cafeteria food. You also hang out with a bunch of people that you don't know very well.

I have Chinese class for 4 hours in the morning, eat lunch, teach English for 2 hours, and then come back to campus to play basketball until dinner. The time after dinner is reserved for doing homework and vegging out. Rinse and repeat, Monday through Friday.

One thing that has surprised me is how much I've been playing basketball. It seems to be the default activity around campus. Even some of the younger Chinese teachers come out and play. We've had some intense games too. A couple days ago I injured my eye when going for a rebound. I got a small cut and a black eye, but it's not too bad. My glasses pretty much cover up the bruise.

Today I was playing some 4-on-4 for several hours. Among the 8 people on the court, I counted 7 nationalities! Guys from Turkey, Nigeria, Vietnam, France, USA, Argentina, and China. Speaking of international sporting events, the Olympics start in 9 days. The anticipation is building...