Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sichuan

I left Beijing several days ago to come to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province. In a couple days I will head to Kunming, which is a little further south.

Chengdu has an incredible vibe that I really enjoy. The food is delicious, and the culture is really laid-back. Buying street food at 2am, even on a weekday, is no problem since people stay up so late. Also, everything is much cheaper than in Beijing.

I've been really impressed with some of the expats here. Freelance musicians, magazine creators/editors, and others who have started small non-profits. All of these people are in their mid-twenties--not much older than me. It takes creativity and courage to invent a job for yourself in an unfamiliar country.

I went to a small, earthquake-stricken village about two hours outside of Chengdu today. I met some people who had been going there every Sunday for the last 5 weeks to play with the kids. There were about 20 foreigners in the group this week.

Many of the homes in the village had been completely destroyed by the earthquake, so lots of people stayed in tents next to the rubble. A depressing scene. Nonetheless, hanging out with the kids for a few hours was a lot of fun. Being able to speak some basic Mandarin also made my experience much more enjoyable. I'll eventually put up a couple pictures.

I think Chengdu ties Beijing as my favorite city in China. ASU has an exchange program with Sichuan University (located in Chengdu), which I'm definitely considering for the future. This city would be a great place to live.

Many more stories, but I lack the time and discipline to write them out. Perhaps I'll get in the mood once I stop travelling and settle in Beijing.