Thursday, May 29, 2008

From May 22

I love to take walks around Nanjing. Sometimes I get lost, but I always find my way back and learn the layout of the city better. Usually I walk around for at least 2 hours at a time and maybe more. Here are the most interesting things I’ve seen. Some are more common sights than others.

A child of 9 or 10 started urinating on a busy street just a few feet in front of me. His red neckerchief (see example below) was securely fastened. I was tempted to take a picture but decided against it.

*I did not take this picture.




I’ve seen games of mahjong, cards, ping-pong, etc being played on the sidewalk.

I saw a flamboyant Chinese man with bleached blonde hair, really short shorts, and a swagger in his step. He was surrounded by a posse of young women who were definitely going for the diva look. People were staring at this man as he walked by.

A man finished his meal and started to ash his cigarette over a huge plate of left-overs. When he finished the cigarette he stuck it in the food to extinguish it and left it there.

I’ve seen taxi drivers swearing at each other in the street because of a car accident.